Marketing Consultant Neil Pierson’s Story – Marketplace Answers Pty Ltd
Learn a bit more about Director of Story Telling – Neil Pierson …
Career objective as a Marketing Consultant
- To generate business growth.
- To create & market products and services which help people.
I am a storyteller. My corporate job titles have included Marketing Manager, Operations Manager and CEO including 12 years experience in customised publishing. I have been effective in creating additional sources of income, marketing, reducing costs, and maintaining profit margins of 35%. Working in small companies has given me a broad knowledge of all areas of business. My strengths are research and analysis, creating viable new products and building long term relationships with clients and suppliers.
Director Marketplace Answers Pty Ltd – September 2007 – now
Serving a diverse group of clients allows me to bring a different perspective to each of them.
CEO Powerport, September 2006 – September 2007
Powerport create customised Print and Email newsletters for Mortgage Brokers enabling them to keep in contact with their clients. When I stepped into the role the young company was relying on additional borrowings. By dramatically reducing operating costs, plus increasing revenue I brought it into a viable position of profitability within 12 months.
Achievements at Powerport Pty Ltd
- Won $52,000 pa Commonwealth Bank newsletter service
- Added 73 new clients increasing total to 211
- Expanded from six to 14 unique newsletters per year
- Sourced alternate writers and solicitors reducing production costs by 60%
- Cut rental costs by 52% per year
- Reduced staffing costs by 30%
- Created innovative trade journal advertisements
- Added 750 Mortgage Broker prospects to receive regular demonstrations
- Redesigned layout of both email and print versions
- Surveyed clients online with 73% response rate
- Introduced eight new key features requested by clients
- Launched Print and Post service which will lift revenue by minimum 15%
Marketing / General Manager Publications
Healthworks Corporate 1994 – August 2006
The product and publications division under my responsibility consistently generated over 70% of the company’s profit from the $2.7 million annual revenue. My health, safety and lifestyle newsletter had an average monthly paid circulation of 55,000 copies. By thorough market research I have a proven track record of introducing profit generating products. Because of my direction Healthworks’ product range is now much broader and the company much better protected from future market changes.
Achievements at Healthworks
- Expanded range from one to 43 paper and electronic products.
- Maintained 35% profit margin when other divisions ranged between 4% and 20%.
- Introduced direct mail which became the major source of new sales.
- Added complementary products to our internet site to create additional revenue streams from readers adding $31,000 profit per annum.
- Doubled international sales.
- Cut newsletter design costs by 45% saving $50,000 per annum.
- Redesigned marketing materials to ensure consistent branding across the range.
- Streamlined order processing resulting in a 30% time saving.
- Surveyed clients’ needs by paper and electronic methods with up to 39.6% response rate.
- Averted potential disaster with a bankrupt printer by quick decision making and diplomacy.
- Withdrew less profitable products to ensure focus was kept on major business areas.
- Brainstormed, experimented and took calculated risks with new product and marketing ideas.
- Oversaw editorial, design, printing and distribution of entire product range.
- Wrote and designed a very popular range of 34 Health & Safety wall posters.
- Set prices, including 100% price rise with no loss in sales volume.
- Negotiated fixed long-term production costs with subcontractors.
- Created briefs for writers, designers and sub contractors.
- Led four permanent staff (full & part time). Three were with me for over 10 years.
- Selected, negotiated and reviewed all sub-contractors.
- Trained and assisted all staff on contact management software, mail merges and reports.
Internet and email
- Strategically reviewed internet search engine keywords to ensure top 10 placement.
- Designed, edited, managed and distributed quarterly email newsletter to over 4,300 HR & OHS Managers. Opening rates were up to 50.6%.
- Analysed email opening and popularity of links to target future campaigns and lift responses.
- Wrote online surveys for market research and use in PR press releases.
Marketing, advertising and PR
- Chose advertising placement and product inserts for trade journals and magazines.
- Cross-sold, and up-sold products and services to clients of other divisions.
- Wrote press releases for launch of new products.
- Worked with PR company to highlight results of national surveys.
- Interviewed for national radio and newspapers as a result of press releases.
- Selected appropriate trade displays to exhibit at and developed rapport with clients.
- Designed and coordinated bringing to life of company mascot with a 7 foot tall character suit.
- Wrote creative copy, designed package, components and offer.
- Evaluated lists, arranged mail house, deduplication, processing and barcoding.
- Designed system for analysis and testing of sales results from each campaign.
- Achieved average 402% Return on Expenditure.
- Developed profitable email marketing campaigns with up to 8% response rates.
- Prepared annual budgets and tracked monthly results.
- Approved all expenditure and checked accuracy of supplier and sub-contractor invoices.
- Ensured bills were paid on time to help build long term relationships.
- Created systems to track profitability and break even points of each new product.
- Studied churn rate of clients to help focus on retention of major business.
- Prepared and presented divisional results to the board in a meaningful format that became expected for all the managers.
- Analysed return on investment for my own and other divisions.
- Second in charge for company. Accounts signatory.
Looking further back in time!
- Sales and Marketing Co-ordinator Promedica Pty Ltd (Medical disposables). 1992-94
- Junior Marketing Executive Stryker Australia (Surgical instruments & implants). 1989–91
- Bachelor of Business Degree Marketing & Management Double Major. 1987-89
- Exchange student to Malaysia 12 months. 1986
- Managing Director – Young Achievers (Sponsored by Avon). 1984
Additional achievements from previous roles
- Co-ordinated medical trade displays around the country.
- Trained staff in computer programs and new medical products.
- Implemented new database to track major tenders.
Training & education
- Graduate Diploma of Education – Business Studies (Wesley Institute) – expected 2013.
- Masters of Education Leadership (National Institute of Christian Education) – expected 2013.
- Bachelor of Business Degree Marketing & Management. UTS (Kuring-gai) 1991.
- ADMA Direct Mail 6 month part time night course on direct mail 1997.
- Bob Johnson Selling Techniques one week intensive sales school 1997.
- You can do emagic one day email marketing course 2002.
- Senior First Aid Certificate 2006.
- Word Processing Word for Windows Letter writing, manuals, presentations.
- Contact Management Act! Direct mail, client relationship.
- Desktop Publishing Publisher, Frontpage, WordPress, Brochures, labels, certificates, email.
- Presentations Powerpoint
- Spreadsheets Excel Budgets, analysis, forecasts.
- Relational Databases Access Reports, analysis of data.